This vegetarian moussaka isn’t exactly the classic Greek moussaka recipe.
Instead of a béchamel sauce, it is made with oatmeal and soy milk, and instead of meat, steel cut oats are used.
Greek Mussaka No Meat and Flour
Ingredients （6 Serves）
2 medium eggplant, cut into 1 cm thick slices
vegetable oil (for frying the eggplants)
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 cm cubes
2 tablespoon steel cut oats, cooked
1 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 medium tomatoes, cored and chopped
Pinch of salt and black pepper
A pinch of cinnamon or one cinnamon stick
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoon rolled oats
1/4 cup soy milk (or oats milk, almond milk, etc)
a pinch of nutmeg
- Prepare the steel cut oats. Pour the 1/2 cup of water into a saucepan and bring it to a boil over high heat. Add the oats into the boiled water. Reduce heat to low and keep the oats simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Set aside.
- In a colander, place the eggplant and 1 teaspoon salt. Drain in the sink for 15 minutes.
- Draw out the moisture,and fry the eggplant in plenty of oil, until nicely colored.
- Place the fried eggplants on some paper, in order to absorb the oil. Set aside.
- Bring several cups water, the potatoes and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large pot over high heat. Lower heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to the warm pot.
- Mash potatoes with a pinch of salt and nutmeg. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat add the olive oil. Put the steel cut oats and the onions, and cook until the onions are soft. Add the garlic and ground clove. Cook 2 minutes more. Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook until tomatoes are soft and the mixture is thick, about 10 minutes.
- Put the rolled oats in a saucepan, pour in soy milk. Bring to the boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring from time to time. Or mix the oats and soy milk in a micro-waveproof bowl, then microwave on High for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Spoon into a baking dish. Spread the mashed potatoes first, then the half eggplants. Pour in all of the tomato sauce and spread it out evenly.
- Add a second layer of eggplants, top with all of the oatmeal cream sauce.
- Bake until top is golden brown and slightly crusty, about 30 minutes at 180-200 degrees C. Cool 10 minutes before serving.