Oatmeal can be used to replace part or all of the wheat flour in your recipes.
One easy way to do this is to substitute oats for making white sauce.
A delicious cream based chowder, this recipe calls for the standard chowder ingredients: onion, potatoes, bacon, clams, and milk.
Oats is added to thicken the Clam chowder soup.
If you add more oatmeal, it will look like risotto.
Oats thicken the soup without flour
Ingredients （4 servings）
4 tablespoons Rolled Oats
1 (6.5 ounce) cans minced clams
1 onion, diced
1 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 slices bacon, diced
2 cup vegetable stock
1 cup Milk
4 tablespoons white wine
1 tablespoon butter
ground salt & black pepper to taste
- Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Melt butter in the saucepan. Add onion and potetoes, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent.
- Add vegetable stock, and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in rolled oats and milk, and heat through.
- Stir in clams just before serving. When clams are heated through, season with salt and pepper.